I am a bit of a bubble tea fan. It's something I like to buy as a treat every now and then, but it's pretty sugary unless you ask for half or no sugar. Here's a cheap way to cute the shit out of your Saturday afternoon and impress the pants of your friends while you're at it.
What you'll need;
- a pretty glass jar or a large drinking glass,
- tapioca pearls - these can be bought online or in most Asian grocery stores, I got mine from the Asain grocer on Hardgrave Rd in West End,
- sugar, maple syrup or honey
- lemon juice or vanilla extract (or whatever flavour floats your boat)
- a big fat straw to suck up the bubbles with - buy online or just save one from your last store-bought tea
How to do it:
1. ok, so you bring some water to the boil and boil the pearls for about five minutes - they'll get nice an fat and rise to the top
2. while all that's going on make a lemon juice and sugar syrup - use as much or as little as you like
3. strain the pearls and add them to the sugar syrup
4. fill your glass or jar halfway with boiling water and let a tea bag soak for a few minutes
5. add your pearls to jar or glass and then add a few spoonfuls of syrup (again add as little or as much as you think is a good thing)
6. top the other half of the jar or glass with milk (I use soy)
7. and then drink up!